Very amusingly once Stephen Hawking stated, “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny”. It was a personal experience of the man and whatever he said reflected the irony of the statement. The man, who was diagnosed with the ALS or the motor neurone disease at the age of 21 was given around two years to live, passed away at the age of seventy-six. The life that he lived was a legend and nothing less than a miracle.
1. “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.” His life was certainly tragic at one point where he was depressed for not being able to do what he wanted. But he admitted that marrying his wife gave him something to live for.
2. “People won’t have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.” He could have complained and remained angry with life, instead, he decided to live his life the best he could.
3. “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.“While he could have drowned in his sorrows and left the world the way his doctor predicted, he decided he wanted more. His ability to adapt to his life brought him to place he was.
4. “Remember to look up to stars.“His love towards the universe drove him till the end. His passion to know more.
5. “God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator.“Though his wife was a Christian, he was an atheist to his core. His belief in science led him throughout his life.
7. “Not only does God play dice, but… he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.“His life was a perfect example of his statement. Everything in his life defeated the statistics in the world and so did his death.
Stephen Hawking was a legend, lived like one and died like one. He will live forever and be considered one of the two amazing physicists ever lived. The legacy of science and his works have been and will remain a part of the mankind. His books like A Brief History of Time (1988) and Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays (1993) and many more are a part of scientific literature while the sci-fi kid series he wrote with his daughter will be there for budding science buffs. The Theory of Everything was a movie made on the book Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen by Jane Hawking or Jane Wilde his ex-wife, has beautifully depicted the life of the legend in a subtle way and makes him immortal for the times to come.